JFUNU Science Scholarships: Japan
The United Nations University has its headquarters in Japan. University is now accepting applications from applicants from Developing Countries in Sustainability Science.
Developing countries are included in the latest OECD DAC list.
Duration: three years
Subject Area: Sustainability Science
Nationality: Open to candidates who are from developing countries and can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
A. Monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months.
B. The tuition fees would be fully waived off.
C. Opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through international conferences, lectures, and workshops.
D. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance cover must be covered by the student.
Qualifications / Eligibility Criteria:
- The candidates must demonstrate a need for financial assistance during their studies.
- The applicants who are living in Japan currently on a working visa are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Aspirants who want to pursue a second Ph.D. degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible.
- Interested candidate must exhibit a strong interest in the field of sustainability studies;
- A determined commitment to study and understand the global issues;
- The eligible candidate should possess a Master’s degree in the disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- The candidate must have a minimum of two years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which should have been acquired after obtaining a university degree
- The candidate must have a GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned.
English Proficiency requirement:
1. The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are as follows:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
2. Applicants must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports to the Admissions Office at the time of application, except for the cases below,
• Candidates whose native language is English.
• Candidates who graduated from a university or postgraduate located in an English-speaking country.
• Candidates who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree where the language of instruction and examination was English.
Application Process: Applications can be made online. The candidate must submit an online application through the official link given below.
1. There is no separate application form for the scholarship as it is a part of the online application for admission.
2. Interested applicants must provide the necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the Ph.D. degree program.
Deadline: 17 February