The MPI-BGC (Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry), an interdisciplinary fundamental research institute in Earth system sciences, invites applications for two postdoctoral positions. The positions are available in the department of Biogeochemical Signals full-time till February 28, 2026.
Tasks and duties:
- Assessment of the performance of the extended inversion system
- Future implementation of the Cost/benefit analysis for corresponding data assimilation models at DWD
- Publication of manuscripts in eminent academic journals.
- Close collaboration with the project members to facilitate synergetic assessments and publications
- Results presentation at conferences (national and international)
- Guiding doctoral candidates for the final theses
- Radon exhalation model application along with emission fields for additional trace gases into the CarboScope regional inversion system
Applicant must have obtained university studies in Meteorology, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, and Information Technology or Geosciences.
- Applicant must possess Ph.D. in the relevant subject.
- The applicant is expected to know at least one of the programming languages, viz., Fortran, R, or Python (extra knowledge of CDO or Bash would be an advantage)
- Applicant must demonstrate effective teamwork, intercultural skills, self-initiative, and a sense of responsibility.
- A goal-oriented, committing, structured way of working
- Applicant must possess excellent written and spoken English skills (knowledge of another language would be an advantage)
- The international work environment of an interdisciplinary research institute of the Max Planck Society includes a friendly and team-oriented environment.
- A wide array of opportunities for personal development
- Childcare facility with the association of a nearby childcare service
Application to be sent via e-mail to email@example.com quoting the reference number 03/2023, including the following:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information of two references (in a PDF file; max. 10 MB)