The MPIPZ (Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research) invites applications for multiple ERC-funded positions in molecular plant-microbiota interactions, microbiology, functional ecology, and computational biology. These positions are offered in the group headed by Dr. Stéphane Hacquard in Multitrophic Plant-Microbe Interactions. These positions are initially available for three years, with a possible extension.
About the research:
The Multitrophic Plant-Microbe Interactions group aims to identify the fundamental mechanisms underlying the structure and the functions of multi-kingdom microbial associations colonizing plant roots. The MICROBIOSIS (funded by ERC) shall concentrate on the intriguing circuits that connect root microbiota composition belowground with aboveground leaf development. The research will use tractable microbial communities, cutting-edge metabolome, microbiome and grafting techniques, genetic engineering methods, and advanced gnotobiotic plant growth systems to understand and engineer these circuits mechanistically.
- The candidates should be able to work at the interface between multiple research fields.
- The candidate shall have plant/microbial genetics knowledge, large-scale multi-omics, root or microbial metabolic engineering, ecosystem engineering grafting, synthetic microbial communities, root-shoot functional interplay, and advanced statistical genetics.
- Candidates with interdisciplinary proficiency in molecular biology, ecology, and bioinformatics would have an advantage.
- Applicant must possess outstanding organizational and communication skills (i.e., English) are essential.
- The positions must be filled this year.
- The shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.
- Salary and working hours are per the funding recommendations of the Max Planck Society for junior scientists.
- Working hours are full-time.
- Apply via the online portal (as a single pdf document). The application should include the following:
- A letter (2 pages max) stating why the candidate is interested in joining above said the research team
- A list of publications or similar achievements
- The names of three referees.
Deadline: May 9th, 2023
For further information on this position, please get in touch with Dr. Stéphane Hacquard.