The German Institute of Global and Area Studies (GIGA) is offering a Doctoral (Ph.D.) Program for international students, an international working and learning environment for researchers keen to pursue research in a structured yet flexible program with close individual supervision and structured training.
The candidate either be a self-funded doctoral researcher or a doctoral researcher working on a third-party funded project at the GIGA. As an external doctoral researcher, apply for a stay as a visiting doctoral researcher.
- Candidate must have an excellent grade point average and a final degree (master or equivalent) in Social Sciences (viz., International Relations/Political Science, Economics, History) or a related discipline.
- The candidate must have demonstrated good English language proficiency (German is not a prerequisite).
- International applicants are welcome to apply.
The application process:
- Apply online and the applications need to include at least the following documents:
- GIGA DP Application Form
- Letter of motivation
- Research proposal of 2000 words max.
- Copies of degrees and academic transcripts (BA, Diploma, MA)
- Proof of English language skills
- Statement about funding plans for the duration of three years
- Academic writing sample